The rich traditions of another era inform The Atrium at Market Center. The site of The Atrium was originally the Bernheimer-Leader Store, built in 1924, which later became The Hecht Company store in the 1950's. With the growth and redevelopment of the neighborhood, Baltimore has made a commitment to preserving its architectural heritage.
In 1998, The Commission for Historical and Architectural Preservation declared the building an official city landmark. And today both The Atrium and the surrounding neighborhood are on the register of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. To further honor this designation, Southern Management has completely restored the building’s classic Revival-style façade. Where once thousands shopped, now those who want a modern urban address and dynamic location are able to call one of 173 apartments "home."