SMC is proud to offer a variety of scholarships to deserving students in our area. Here’s a listing of some of the special programs we offer. To learn more or to apply, please download the PDFs associated with each scholarship description.
- Apartment and Office Building Association (AOBA) Scholarship – This program offers graduates of Prince George’s County Schools two years’ of paid tuition to Prince George’s Community College. Through the $6,000 scholarship, students earn a two-year associate’s degree and have the opportunity to apply to the Southern Management Scholarship for Study at American University.
- Southern Management Scholarship for Study at American University – Provides financial assistance to deserving business students from Prince George’s County who have been admitted to an undergraduate program at AU’s Kogod School of Business. Scholarships begin at $5,000 per academic year.
- Hillman Entrepreneurs Program – An innovative and valuable four-year scholarship program designed for students who have an interest in entrepreneurship or leading a company. The program is tailored to the needs of transfer students who begin their study at Prince George’s Community College and Montgomery College and complete their bachelor’s degrees at the University of Maryland. www.hillman.umd.edu.
- Rising Star Scholarship – A scholarship available for SMC residents, age 17-24 for an amount up to $1,500. Good toward any accredited university, college, technical or vocational school.
- University of Maryland Baltimore Scholarship – Provides financial assistance to currently enrolled degree-seeking graduate and professional students at UMB. Applicants must be residents of Prince George’s County and strongly preferred that they are graduates of Prince George’s Community College. Scholarships can be awarded up to $5,000 per academic year.
Special Community Programs
Here are just some of the many ways we try to make a difference.
- Girls on the Run– One of our newest programs, SMC has partnered with Girls on the Run to bring the traditional after school program to our communities offering girls in grades 3-8th the opportunity to become strong confident leaders. SMC pays the registration fee for residents on lease at each site to participate. The program is currently being offered in some of our communities located in Fairfax, Montgomery and Prince William Counties.
- Mentorship Programs – Employees can mentor local public school students for four hours a week in the county where they work, while still earning their normal compensation.
- Spruce Up Our Schools – Southern Management adopts several schools each year to make cosmetic changes ranging from painting and landscaping to appliance donations and wall murals.
- Junior Achievement– SMC team members teach students a financial-driven curriculum for one hour in the public schools during a five- to ten-week period. Team members also volunteer for a day at Finance Park located in Fairfax County, Montgomery and Prince George’s County during national volunteer week.
- Dental Van– SMC in partnership with the Colgate-Palmolive Dental Van schedules a full size dental van to come into neighboring schools and communities to do free oral screenings to for children ages 1-12 years old. This initiative encourages good oral hygiene and the early detection of any concerns.
- Teacher Appreciation Week – Teachers throughout Prince George’s County are recognized with special treats provided by SMC.
- Holiday 4 Kids – A resident holiday celebration complete with dancing, singing and gift giving.
- Dictionary Initiative and Spelling Bee – Partnering with the Indian Head Highway Action Council, SMC delivers thousands of dictionaries to third grade students throughout Prince George’s County and co-sponsors an annual Spelling Bee.
- National Night Out – On the first Tuesday in August, several SMC communities partner with local police and community leaders to help increase crime prevention awareness among residents.
- National Walks – SMC is a proud supporter of the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Walk, the Marine Corps Marathon, the American Heart Association Heart Walk, the March of Dimes, The Race for Hope and many more.
- Bag 2 School – SMC provides student residents of several communities with new backpacks and grade-appropriate school supplies. To date, we have provided over 50,000 book bags to students from pre-K to 8th grade. SMC is also a proud supporter of the Baltimore and Montgomery County Public Schools’ annual school supply drive.
- SMC Food Pantry– In 2012, SMC created the Food pantry to provide families in our communities with an additional source of food supplement. We have helped over 200 families and given out more than 15,000 pounds of food.
- Almost Home – Partnering with several elementary and middle schools, the Almost Home program provides after-school homework and tutoring programs in several SMC communities.
- Dress Down 4 A Cause – A quarterly fundraiser encouraging employees to wear casual clothes in exchange for a five-dollar donation to a worthy cause. Thousands of dollars are raised annually for organizations such as the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, Children’s Hospital, Prince George’s County Athletic Department, Catholic Charities, American Red Cross, Out of the Darkness Walk, Fannie Mae’s Hoops 4 the Homeless Basketball Tournament and many more.
- Fair Housing Poster Contest – In an effort to educate K-12 students about the importance of fair housing, SMC hosts a poster contest. From hundreds of entries, a grand-prize winner is chosen and awarded a laptop computer.
For more information on any of these programs or scholarships, please call us at 703.902.2000 or email us at email@example.com.