There are few things more personal than the place you call home. Therefore, it stands to reason that choosing the company who manages your home is an incredibly important decision. Below are five attributes we think renters should look for when choosing a management company. Keeping these factors in mind when making your decision can have a significant impact on your overall rental experience.
- Owner Operated – Think about it. If your management company is tied to the ownership of the building, they’re much more likely to be in it for the long haul. It’s in their best interest to do things right the first time. This often eliminates quick fixes and gimmicks to lure new residents in the door.
A reputable owner-operated management company will want to solve a problem at its root. This benefits you in a myriad of ways:
- Reliable maintenance service
- Professional and responsive communication
- Resident friendly policies
- Experience – Consider how many years a company has been in business. You want a company that’s tried and true. While every business has to start somewhere, do you really want to be someone’s guinea pig when you have an after-hours emergency or a concern with your rental payment? Stick with a company who has been around for a while and who has a history of treating their residents well.
- They Stand Behind Their Product and Their People – If you move into your new apartment and for whatever reason decide it’s not right for you, what are your options? A management company that believes in its products and people will offer easy solutions. Southern Management provides at 30-day Satisfaction Guarantee as part of our Seal of Satisfaction. Before deciding on a management company, review their website. Do they offer something similar and is that information easy to find and understand? If that information is missing or simply not available, perhaps that management company isn’t right for you.
- Fair and Transparent Pricing – The rent should be the rent. The last thing you want to find out is that you’ll be paying surprise fees on top of the rental rate you were quoted. Additional costs such as parking, pets, or other services, should be easily accessible and available in writing. Transparent pricing means you’re starting off on the right foot with clear and reliable communication.
- Engaging Team Members – Great companies take care of their team members and those happy team members treat you wonderfully in return. When selecting a management company, make sure you feel cared for from your first interaction. Are your questions or concerns met with sincerity? Does it feel like a scripted sales pitch or a conversation? Are your apartment needs met with an active approach to finding the home that’s right for you? These experiences can be a great indicator of what to expect from a company as a whole.