Applying For An Apartment
One life skill that isn’t taught in school is how to apply for an apartment for the first time. Similar to filing taxes, the process can seem confusing or down-right frustrating for those who have never gone through the experience before.
Filling out a rental application is one of your final steps in the process of renting an apartment. Completing an application requires a little bit of detail work, but it means you’re in the homestretch and will be moving into your new home soon!
If you finally found the apartment of your dreams, but you’re not sure how to start the application process, don’t stress! Southern Management walks you through every detail of applying for an apartment online.
How To Apply For An Apartment For The First Time
Nearly all property management companies and landlords require your rental application be processed and approved before allowing you to sign a lease. The best property management companies allow prospective residents to apply for an apartment online. Alternatively, you can attend an open house or stop by the leasing office in-person to pick up an application.
Once you decide where you want to live, start the application process right away. Most apartment applications require background information (such as rental and employment history) and perhaps an apartment rental credit check.
If you’re applying for an apartment for the first time, you definitely won’t have a rental history and you might not have a credit score. Some apartment management companies will be more flexible than others if this is the case.
Information Needed To Apply For An Apartment
- Personal contact information. To get started, your property manager will need basic information like your name, phone number, email address, and current address.
- Social Security number. Most all rental applications will require your Social Security number or a copy of your Social Security card. If you don’t have a Social Security Number because you’re not a U.S. resident, reputable companies will still be willing to work with you.
- Driver’s license, personal identification card, or passport. These legal documents authenticate your identity. Your driver’s license is usually necessary if you will need a parking spot. Don’t worry if you don’t have a U.S. issued ID. Most management companies can use documentation such as a student or work visa to verify your identity as well.
- Current and previous addresses/landlord information. Listing places you have lived is required in order to process your application.
- Current and previous employer information. This helps verify income and is required in order to process your application.
- Proof of income. Pay stubs or other official proof of income will likely be requested.
- Roommate’s application. If you will live with someone who is also responsible for paying a portion of the rent, they must also complete a rental application and provide the documents listed above.
Apply For An Apartment Online At Southern Management
Applying for an apartment has never been easier! At Southern Management, the entire process is available online.
- Select an apartment community. Check “Pricing/Availability.”
- Select a floor plan.
- Pick the unit layout that works best for you. Southern Management communities offer studio, 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom, 3-bedroom, or 4-bedroom units.
- The online application provides a floor plan for the unit you select so you can view the details before moving forward with the application.
- If your desired floor plan is not currently available, simply select “Add to Waitlist.”
- Fill out basic lease information.
- Choose your move-in date
- Choose your lease term (3-month, 6-month, 9-month, 12-month)
- Verify the monthly rent. The longer the lease term, the more likely you are to be eligible for a recurring special.
- Create an Account or log in if you already have one.
- Fill out your online application
- Personal Information
- Address Information
- Employment Information
- Screening Information
- Pet Information
- Vehicle Information
- Emergency Contact
- Bank information
- Upload required documents
- Pay Stubs
- Photo ID
- Add any other people who will live with you.
- As the first person to complete this application, you will be considered the primary applicant, and you will be asked to provide information about additional occupants.
- If you do not finish your application now, you may log in it at a later time to complete it, or to review it after you have submitted it.
- Application Charges
- There is a one-time application charge.
- Application fees are waived for active duty military personnel, those who are employed by one of our corporate partners, graduate students at select universities.
- Lease Summary
- You’ll receive an overview of the information you provided.
Credit History Concerns When Applying For An Apartment
Many first-time renters worry about the apartment rental credit check process. Some property managers place emphasis on coming in with a high credit score or even have a strict credit requirement.
Building or fixing credit doesn’t happen overnight. What makes Southern Management different from other property management companies is that we understand this and are willing to work with residents who have less-than-perfect credit.
Searching and applying for no credit check apartmentsnear your location will only put a bandaid on the underlying issue. While Southern Management does run credit checks, we don’t automatically turn away a potential resident because of what in their consumer report. We consider all credit, even if that credit incudes bankruptcies, foreclosures, or collection accounts.
Our team provides financial consulting for residents in an effort to help them rebuild their credit and move forward.
Apply For A Southern Management Apartment
Stop worrying about your credit history and start your new life in a Southern Management apartment. Browse our 75 apartment communities and find the perfect place to call your new home.
Applying for an apartment isn’t difficult when you choose Southern Management. If you have any questions about the apartment application process, call (703) 902-9555, or contact us to set up a tour of any of our apartment communities.