Just like everything else these days (hello, Zoom meetings and FaceTime happy hours), apartment tours have gone virtual.
The COVID-19 pandemic has affected every aspect of daily life, and apartment hunting is no exception. When searching for a new place, it’s natural that you would want to inspect every square inch of a prospective apartment. The good news is that in-person viewings aren’t the only route apartment-seekers can use to find a new home.
What is a Virtual Apartment Tour?
Virtual apartment tours – or an online, 360-degree overview of an apartment—have long been a popular option for people searching for an apartment from out of town. Today, walking through an apartment via your screen has become the standard for touring during the pandemic and lockdown orders.
How to Take a Virtual Apartment Tour
Not only are virtual apartment tours a safer alternative to seeing a property in person, they allow future residents to understand the floorplan in as much detail as possible. Here are some tips for taking a virtual apartment tour of your potential new home.
- Work with a reputable property management company. Choosing the right property management company will have a significant impact on your overall experience. You want to make sure the company has been around for a while. Furthermore, you want to ensure they stand behind their product and people. A simple checklist can help you know whether you’ve really found the best property management company
- Do your research and verify your information. It’s a good idea to confirm the apartment you are viewing during the virtual tour is representative of the apartment you’ll be moving into. Ask the leasing agent for a floor plan, and examine it carefully to get a sense of the room size and layout. Pay close attention to the details you can (and can’t) see in the virtual tour so you can compare to the listing photos.
- Ask a lot of questions. There are probably things on your apartment amenities wish list—like good water pressure or noise-proof windows—that can’t be conveyed via virtual tour. That means, more than ever, you need to know what questions to ask. What are the views like from the windows? How many units are on the same floor? Where are the elevators located? If you are looking at a furnished apartment option, be sure to ask what’s included.
- Check out the neighborhood. Your future neighborhood is just as important as the apartment itself. Use Google Map’s street views to see what’s nearby, including schools, parks, restaurants, shopping centers, and public transportation. You can also drive by the community to see for yourself that the building and surrounding areas are well maintained.
- Add some protection to your lease. Be sure to do a walkthrough with a member of the leasing staff on move-in day. Refer to this ultimate apartment walkthrough checklist to make sure you’re getting exactly what you signed up for.
Stay Safe with a Virtual Apartment Tour at Southern Management
No matter the reason for your move, Southern Management strives to make your apartment search comfortable and convenient during these unprecedented times.
Now that you know how to take a virtual apartment tour, “visit” any of our 75 apartment communities throughout Maryland and Virginia to find the perfect location and floor plan. Our helpful team members are available to answer questions about amenities, pricing, lease terms, and more. Once you’ve settled on a new place, check out our guide for practicing social distancing while moving.
Contact our team for a phone consultation or to learn more about our online application process. We can’t wait to welcome you home!