With chilly temperatures and short days, the winter months draw us all inside of our homes a bit more. This is especially true this winter, with more of us working from home and social distancing to prevent the community spread of COVID-19.
To stay sane while spending so much time at home, your apartment needs to feel totally cozy and inviting. These DIY winter decorating ideas will make your apartment cozy and help create a hygge winter retreat you’ll never want to leave.
Décor Ideas for a Small, Cozy Apartment
- Keep cozy blankets on hand. Drape warm and cozy blankets on your couch, bed, and other seating areas. The blankets not only offer extra warmth for those chilly winter nights, but they will also make a small, cozy apartment extra inviting. If you’re feeling crafty, you can even learn to crochet a cozy blanket for a fun and simple DIY winter decorating project. (Check out more of our suggestions on quick DIY apartment projects)
- Light a scented candle. One of the quickest ways to make your apartment cozy on a budget is to light a candle with a winter-themed scent. Scents like cinnamon, peppermint, pine, or vanilla not only provide extra light during those shorter winter days, but they also amp up the cozy vibes in your apartment. Just remember to blow out the candles before you go to sleep at night or whenever you leave home, and keep them up and away from pets and children. You can also use flameless tea light candles for the same glow minus the scent.
- Set up a hot beverage station. Everyone loves a mug of something warm and delicious to chase away the winter blues, whether it’s hot chocolate, warm apple cider, or a steaming cup of tea. Set aside a corner of your kitchen counter or stock a bar cart with a plug-in water kettle, some festive mugs, and the makings for your beverage of choice. Don’t forget to include extras like chocolate shavings, marshmallows, cinnamon sticks and candy canes stored in small Mason or glass jars.
- Add an area rug. No matter how comfortable the temperature in your apartment, tile and hardwood floors can still be a little chilly under your feet. Scattering a few thick area rugs in your entry, kitchen, or bathroom will add texture and color to your winter apartment décor, as well as cut down on noise (a great perk if you are listening to or practicing music). Score extra hygge points with faux sheepskin rugs, like this budget-friendly option from IKEA.
- Indulge in your favorite hobbies. Winter is the perfect time to devote yourself to hobbies and interests that make you feel cozy, whether that’s baking bread, curling up with a book, cooking soups and stews, or listening to music. Displaying items related to your hobbies, like attractive cookware, your collection of books, or your favorite records, are a good way to decorate your apartment and pass the time indoors. Functional cookware for your kitchen, beautiful coffee table books, or a classic record player may be worthwhile investments for an extra cozy apartment.
Hibernate in Style with Southern Management
With many months of staying at home ahead of us, we hope these DIY winter decorating ideas and winter apartment décor suggestions can help you bring your vision for a small, cozy apartment to life.
If you are in the market for a warm and inviting new space to call home, Southern Management has the perfect apartment community for you. Whether you prefer something small and cozy or large and expansive, we have apartment communities across Maryland and Virginia that offer a variety of floor plans with awesome amenities.
Contact us today with any questions about leasing, pricing, or just to chat about your options. We can’t wait to help you find the perfect place to decorate for winter.