Moving into a new apartment can be nerve-racking, especially if you’re in a new city. The best way to get through the discomfort is to find ways to feel at home quickly! Familiarize yourself with the area and get to know your apartment neighbors so you don’t feel disoriented for long.
While the thought of introducing yourself to strangers might make you sweat, there are ways to ease yourself into it — without making it super awkward.
Top Ways To Become Friends With Apartment Neighbors
The best way to make friends in a new city is to become friends with apartment neighbors. Consider these simple tactics to get your foot in the door.
How To Let Your Neighbors Know You Want To Be Friends?
- Leave a note on your door. Let them come to you! Leave a note on your door inviting your neighbors to drop in. Even something as simple as, “Just moved in! Stop by to say hi!” can do the trick.
- Host a housewarming party. While you obviously don’t know your apartment neighbors yet, it’s quite possible that they don’t know each other, either. A housewarming party is a great way to not only meet them but to provide opportunities for them to meet each other as well.
- Find them on social media. Many communities will have Facebook groups for their residents or a Facebook page for the community itself. If you can’t find one, start by joining neighborhood groups. Chances are there are at least one or two of your apartment neighbors in those groups as well.
- Chit chat in passing. As cliche as it sounds, small talk while you are coming and going can open doors to new friendships. If you don’t know how to start a conversation with a stranger, try asking a question about the building and letting them know you’re new. More than likely, they’ll be happy to chat. If you’d prefer a different approach, try complimenting them! Everyone responds well to a genuine compliment, and it’s an easy way to get the conversation flowing.
- Use the amenities. If your apartment has a gym, pool, business center, etc. — use it! This is a great way to find common interests with your neighbors. Plus you’ll quickly learn who the regulars are. Start by waving or saying hello to the people you recognize. Whenever the chance presents itself, strike up a conversation! If you’re not sure what to talk about, make a comment or ask a question about the amenity you’re both using.
- Attend events hosted by your apartment community. Many communities host events or mixers for the residents to get to know each other better. This is a great time to meet other residents — especially those in similar situations or with similar interests! Keep in mind that there are probably other people looking to make friends, too. If the building itself doesn’t host events, it might still have a bulletin board for posting flyers of events happening nearby. Many communities even have digital bulletin boards within the Online Resident Portals. Don’t ignore them — check frequently to see if anything catches your eye.
How To Meet New Friends In Your Area
Whether you moved into a new neighborhood across town, to a new city, or a new state altogether, take time to learn the area and get familiar with your surroundings. Exploring new places is another great way to meet new people — and it also teaches you the best spots in town to hang out with your new apartment neighbors!
What Do I Need To Do When Moving Into A New Neighborhood?
- Get involved in the local community. Volunteer, join a club, get a library card — whatever works for you is cool, just immerse yourself in your community. This will open doors to new people, places, and experiences that could improve your quality of life in your new area. Join neighborhood Facebook groups to keep up with all the latest happenings.
- Scope out the best spots in town. Restaurants, bars, movie theaters, malls — discover all the best deals and where people with similar interests flock! You’ll never meet new friends if you stay locked in your apartment all day. Get out there and explore your town, and you may just meet some cool people along the way.
- Decorate your apartment! Whether your apartment comes furnished or unfurnished, make it your sanctuary with embellishments and decor that feel like home. You want to feel comfortable enough to invite guests over and show off your place. This should be one of your first orders of business when moving into a new apartment.
Meet Your Apartment Neighbors And Make Lifelong Friends At Southern Management
At Southern Management, we’ve fostered an incredible community of both team members and residents. Our priority is creating a comfortable, convenient environment for our residents to live in while cultivating healthy relationships.
If you’re looking to move and want to meet new friends in your area, check out our apartment communities in Maryland and Virginia. Our friendly team is always willing to point you to the best spots in town and local community events. We’re here to make you feel at home.
Contact our team to learn more today!