If you’re low on funds, time off, or both, and still have the urge for a summer vacation, never fear! A staycation is the perfect solution!
The pandemic forced most of us to swap vacation ideas for staycation ideas, COVID-style in 2020. But in 2021, vacationers are consciously choosing to stay local. Whatever the reason, opting to hang in your apartment for a staycation can be the ultimate way to unwind and reset. Here are some tips and tricks for turning your apartment into a relaxing oasis, plus – how to plan the ultimate staycation.
Prepare Your Mind – and Apartment – for a Staycation
A staycation isn’t a vacation if you don’t treat it like one.
- Commit to Your Staycation – Tell your boss and co-workers. Put it on your calendar. Set the out-of-office email. Tell your friends and family you’re taking time off and resist the urge to responds to messages and emails. If you can, take a break from your digital devices and social media altogether.
- Treat Yourself – Instead of spending money on a hotel, buy some luxurious, high-thread-count sheets, fluffy towels, and lush bath products. Put your kitchen on pause and order meal delivery from a different restaurant every night, or splurge on some new smart device technology for your apartment. Do whatever feels decadent to you.
- Try Something New – Sure, you could spend your time off tackling those long-delayed to-dos and DIY projects, but make time to explore new activities or experiences, like a new exercise class or virtual cooking and mixology classes.
Staycation Ideas, COVID-Style
If the pandemic taught us anything, it’s that we can have a great time at home. Here are some simple, yet refreshing, staycation ideas and activities.
- Enjoy a Pool Day – Many apartment communities have swimming pools just for residents. Bring your towel, a book, and some sunscreen. Grab your provisions. And relax the day away. Who knows, you might even meet some of your neighbors and make new friends.
- Use Your Outdoor Space –A comfortable and stylish outdoor living space can be a real asset while spending time in your apartment for a staycation. Your patio or balcony can be an outdoor oasis or entertaining hub, depending on how you want to use it. Create a tropical vibe by setting up a tiki bar and hosting a happy hour, or have friends over for a cookout while you’re on staycation.
- Indulge in a Spa Day – What’s better than a visit to the spa? Bringing the spa to your apartment. Book a massage, facial, manicure or pedicure, or one of many other services via Priv app or MySpa2Go. Or go the DIY route with store-bought face masks and your own mani-pedi supplies. Light a scented candle, put on some spa-like music, and don’t forget slices of cucumber and lemon for your chilled spa water.
- Hold Your Own Film Festival – Put on your red-carpet-worthy pajamas and fire up the home theater for your own version of the Cannes Film Festival. Maybe you want to hold a Wes Anderson retrospective or watch all of the Oscar Best Picture winners. Whatever your theme, just make sure you have plenty of popcorn on hand. If you want to schedule your staycation to line up with Cannes, it’s scheduled to take place July 6-17. The lineup is listed here.
- Play Local Tourist – The Washington, D.C. area is a great place for tourists – even if you live here. There are bound to be some museums, landmarks, or attractions you’ve yet to visit. And now is the time to do it before the crowds come back! Or hop on the Metro and visit a nearby neighborhood, like historic Old Town, Alexandria, lively downtown Silver Spring, or charming Falls Church.
- Get Outside –Nature can soothe the soul, so lace up your hiking boots or running shoes and head outside to the nearest trail, park, or area lake. Pack a picnic and choose from one – or several – outdoor activities in Northern Virginia to spend the day exploring. Or, if shopping is more your speed, head to one of D.C.’s many excellent farmer’s markets.
- Redecorate Your Apartment – After spending more than a year at home, you might be ready for a refresh. Snag some new (to you) furniture from an online marketplace, put up renter-friendly removable wallpaper or window treatments, add a new lamp or rug, or just rearrange your art and accessories.
Find Your Perfect Apartment for a Staycation with Southern Management
Travel is a state of mind, even if that means putting aside a few days in your apartment for a staycation. Whichever staycation idea you choose to pursue, a change of pace and structure can create a fresh perspective and leave you feeling refreshed and recharged.
At Southern Management, we are dedicated to your entire well-being. We are always reachable through RentCafe (our resident portal), by email or by phone.
With 75 apartment communities, our team is confident that we can find the perfect location and floor plan to make you feel right at home. Our helpful team members would love to answer any questions you have about specific apartment communities, including pricing, location and amenities. We’d love for you to plan your next staycation in one of our communities!
Contact our team to learn more today.